Thursday, August 28, 2008

CJ turns 6...Aarrrgghh Matey!

HAPPY 6th BIRTHDAY CJ!!
(you gotta love the flip flops with the outfit)

We had a Pirate Party for CJ's 6th birthday. Normally, we invite family & family friends to hang out, go swimming & have cake and ice cream. This time, we had a friend party and CJ invited all his little friends over! As they arrived they got hats, tattoos or stickers & eye patches (there are plenty left over if you want some!). Once every one arrived we played a game of Pass the Parrot (played just like hot potato). And of course I forgot to get pictures. :( Then we moved onto Pin the Treasure Chest on the X, again no pictures. :( After a couple of fun games we sang Happy Birthday to CJ and had some yummy cake and ice cream! Yes, I made the cake, all by my little lonesome! It may not be the best looking cake you have ever seen, but I am not a professional cake decorator & I must say, that I am quite impressed with the cake. The cake is layered. On the bottom it is yellow & chocolate & well as on top. The bottom is supposed to be water w/some waves, sharks & fish. The top is the island with the pirates & palm tree (yes, I know that the pirates are almost as big as the palm tree....it's ok, I don't think the kids cared). And since the treasure chest is bigger then the pirates and tree & basically as big as the island I just stuck it on the bottom next to the cake, of course filled with chocolate coins. This wasn't the vision I had in my head of the cake, but it still turned out pretty cute! Yay me!


After cake & ice cream the long awaited treasure hunt began! The kids were sooo excited!! They searched high & low all over the clubhouse for the treasure. In the treasure box was a bunch of goodie bags filled with candy (of course) of all sorts: ring pops, candy necklaces, suckers, & fun dips, a plastic skeleton, compass, mini telescopes, pirate noise makers & chocolate gold coins. In addition to the goodie bags, there were "jewels" inside the treasure chest along with necklaces & rings! Each kid got a goodie bag, a necklace & ring...even the boys! They were very excited to get these "treasures"!
My creation

Clark has a chest (foot locker) that he has had for years and just stores stuff in. So, I emptied it out and put a sign above it that read "Captain CJ's Treasure", and that is where we put the gifts. (you can kinda see it in the middle picture.)
My creation


We had pirate decorations all over and plenty of balloons!
(Thanks Suzette & Leasha!)
I made the invitations as well. I printed them up, 2 to a page and then ripped the edges all around it. I then wrinkled & crinkled each invite and then got an ink pad and lightly went over both sides, then rolled it up to look like a treasure map. Apparently among some of the boy these were a hit! My friend Melinda was telling me that her boys were carrying it around with them every where they went and wanted another one! She also said that they were saying it was a real treasure map! Too cute! I did the same thing to the clues for the treasure hunt, again, the boys thought it was so cool. In fact, my nephew Zach wanted to keep all the clues and take them home. I told him that if CJ didn't want to keep them that they were all his.
(Sorry Jess, I am sure you found them later at your house).
(the yellow strips of paper weren't a part of the invitation, I just put them on there for security reasons for posting)This is the fun sign I made to hang on the door.
I have never done a friends party before. Like I said, we just have family & family friends over. We usually swim & hang out and have cake & ice cream. I don't have to keep them all entertained. Whereas with a bunch of little kids ranging from 7 on down to 3, you've got to keep them entertained and not bored. I think I was a bit overwhelmed at first but I had a lot of help from my mother in law & my friends who stayed! Unfortunately Clark was unable to be there cause of work. I was going to try and have the party they day after his birthday on Saturday but the clubhouse was booked ALL day. So I decided to just have it on his actual birthday in the afternoon. We weren't sure if Clark would be home in time or not, and he wasn't, but thanks to Suzette (she was my right hand woman) things worked out great! She was my biggest help! Also, some of the gals in the neighborhood & my best friend Leasha stayed with their kids so they were also helpful! It was a fun & eventful afternoon! CJ had a blast and that is what mattered!

Happy Birthday to Our Little Man!
We love you CJ! We are so proud of you!
You are such a bright little boy with such a sweet spirit and
we are glad that you chose to come to our home!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely love that party! That's sooo cute!

Mama Bean said...

Super fun and way cute!!!

Lindsey said...

Um, this is so cool! You should be proud of yourself! I bet all of those kids will remember that party forever.

Unknown said...

Heather you are so creative! I'm bummed we couldn't make it...it looked like it was so much fun!

Donna/Mom said...

Looks like CJ had a fun party. Wish I could go. I think the cake looks great. I love all the pirate stuff. What a cool party for a boy. Didn't we do a pirate party a couple of years back? He must love pirates.
Happy Birthday CJ
love mom/maime

HeaddaMarie said...

We made the pirate ship cake the year you were here. He does love pirates!! He would be a happy boy if I let him dress like a pirate every day!

Blog Archive