Friday, October 9, 2009

Cats & Birds

My mom has some crazy cats. Especially Daphne, my step dad Doug & I call her britches. Anyway, she keeps bringing presents in to my parents room...birds. We got home from the airport on Monday, there was a bird on my mom's side of the bed. On Wednesday, not long after we got home from shopping we discovered feathers all over there bedroom floor and yet another bird, this time on Doug's side of the bed. While we were out yesterday my Mom got a call from Doug saying there was another bird in there room. Well, today while my Mom and I were making bread and cookies I saw Britches come in the house, in her mouth was a bird. We both assumed it was dead, I tried to get her to go outside but she made her way back to my parents room before we could get her. I went back to see where she put the bird this time and I notice Luin was sitting on the bed and Britches was on the cedar chest at the foot of the bed but no bird in sight. Then something started flying...the bird was alive! I closed all the doors to the other room and got a broom and tried to shoo the bird out...no such luck. The bird landed behind the bed..the bed is set in the corner so there is space back there. I got the broom and tried to scare the bird out of there but it wasn't working...I got on the bed and looked behind it and saw the bird on the ground, it looked dead..I got the broom and put it down there and moved the bird, Yep, it's dead...but I couldn't get it. So we decided to let the cats get it out of there or let Doug get it when he gets home. A short while later I came back to check on the cats, they were acting kinda weird and were staying in one area and kept looking at something...so I looked up..there was a bird. I thought, Oh my gosh...there is ANOTHER bird! So I told my Mom and she asked if I was sure that it wasn't the same bird, my thoughts...How could it be?? I moved the other bird around with the broom..it was lifeless and wasn't moving but I decided to check anyway. I looked behind the bed and sure enough the bird was gone! It WAS the same bird...it's pretty good at pretending it's dead! So, there it sits above a picture frame nestled in some greenery..I think it is dead cause it isn't moving..but the cats can't get to it so it is ok...for now. My Mom goes in there and I'm not sure what she did but she was shooing the cats away and once again the bird takes flight. It disappears...we can't find it...but the cats are lurking around the bedroom door so it HAS to be somewhere nearby..they just can't seem to find it, but they know it's around. My mom then found it behind the door...on the floor. I get the idea to trap it in a bucket or something so we can take it outside. We find something and I go to get it...as I am crouching down to get it, the bird once again takes flight..yes it scared me. It flew around then landed on the curtain rod. My Mom then thinks about a net...she told me to look in the closet in the office...I don't find a net, but I found a netted canopy thing that you put at the head of beds (not sure what it's called) so we attempt to use that...I trap the bird but we can't get it enclosed..my Mom then grabbed the bird with the net still covering it..then we shuffled to the back sliding door and released the bird. Poor Bird. What a traumatic experience...I guess he won't be playing outside by the culvert anymore. That would be where Britches lurks to trap her unknowing prey..and my parents wonderful gifts! It was quite the adventure! I will post pictures of the 2 culprits soon. Britches is the one who catches the birds and brings them in. Luin doesn't do that, however with the bird flying around the room it must have intrigued her cause she eventually joined in.

2 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

That is one heck of a smart bird!

The Rogers said...

That was such a funny story!! I could picture the whole thing:)

Blog Archive